RE: Extended Warranties??

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 06:55:29 EST

Gary, here's a few places to look. This first site has some good info but
they're also pushing warranties so beware.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warranties/articles/index.html

http://www.dodge.com/owners/index.html

Not all Dodge dealers are selling the "Chrysler" warranty. They will push
whatever company gives them the most profit.

New car extended warranties don't typically begin coverage until the factory
warranty has expired, even though you pay for them from day one.

Be aware of what maintenance proof is required of you to receive coverage.

Warning: opinion follows...

I don't think extended warranties are worthwhile. They are like insurance
in that you're betting you're going to have a problem while the providers
are betting you won't.

In my 40+ years of car buying I've never had a need for extended coverage.
You may chalk that up to luck or perhaps good maintenance on my part. In
some cases I didn't keep the car long enough but most of the time I did keep
them 5 to 10 years. I also have drag raced everything I've owned and found
if it doesn't break during the first three years/36,000 miles, it's not
likely to break. AC being the exception to this. However, when I've had
an AC problem it always occurred after an extended warranty would have
expired anyway.

What I do when buying a new vehicle is look at the cost of an extended
warranty that provides the type of coverage I would like. Then, rather
than pay someone else for it, I pay myself by putting that amount of money
aside each month in a money market account. (better interest than a savings
account and readily accessible if needed) By the time my factory warranty
is up I have some money available for repairs if needed. If it isn't
needed, I have a nice little nest egg for future repairs...or whatever.

Again, just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Ray

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |