Re: RE: the screech of insanity...

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 08:31:42 EST

On Thu, February 16, 2006 7:56 pm, Ray Block wrote:

> Technical answer: the belt is slipping. Much like how some shoes squeal if
> you scuff them along the floor instead of stepping normally.
>
> The causes are a little harder to determine. Since you've already checked
> the condition of the pulleys, and cleaned them, we can probably rule that
> out. Of course you might have gotten them "squeaky" clean. ;-) I've found
> that Gunk or Simple Green and water is usually sufficient to clean pulleys.
>
> If there was any kind of petroleum fluid or coolant on your belt and pulleys
> before you began your cleaning process then there is probably still some on
> your belt. If that's the case, clean the pulleys again and replace the
> belt.
>
> At this point the most likely culprits are an old belt with dried out rubber
> or a tensioner that is weak. Not all belts are created equal so I suppose
> a "cheap" belt might not maintain it's grip as long as a quality belt such
> as Goodyear or Gates.

When I replaced the water pump I had to replace the belt as well, the old one
was impregnated with coolant. I cleaned everything with a strong solution of
Dawn dish soap and water. The belt that's on there is a new gates belt, it's
a week old.

I was looking at it again last night and it seems like it might not be tight
enough, it's certainly looser than the belts on my Daytona. That would be
indicative of a bad tensioner, correct?

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'