Re: '46 Dakota Progress!

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 10:04:35 EST

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Bob wrote:

> I want to replace the "Dodge" emblems on the sides of the hood (which
> are missing anyway) with "Dakota" badges.

Would be really cool if you could get some badges made up in the style of
the old Dodge badges (or maybe a bit of a modern twist - I actually can't
picture a '46 Dodge in my mind so I'm not exactly sure what the factory
badging was) that say Dakota.

> However, for now, the project will be stripping
> the Dak of everything useable in the project and (hopefully) selling the
> bed, cab, doors, whatever doesn't go into the project vehicle to
> partially recover my expenses.

good luck with that! Beware that it's harder than you might think, unless
you just want to start it at a penny on Fleabay of course.

> On a related note, there's another '46 Dodge pickup on egag that I had
> looked at, with the auction closing soon (like 8 hours from now).

linky?

> For whatever reason, the guy has it bolted to an S-10 frame.

sick.... hope it doesn't spontaniously combust.

> Looking at his
> pictures provoked another question. Does the Dak frame have a
> significant kick up behind the cablike the S-10?

nope, the chevy frames are all really low below the cab and kick up under
the bed. that's why they look like they're body lifted from the factory,
and when they DO get body lifted they look so terrible unless there's tube
steps or something similar to fill up the huge amount of frame that shows.

> If so, I'll have to
> raise the bed floor to get it all to line up and keep the "look" of the
> '46. I don't suppose that will be any more of a challenge than locating
> mounting points for the old body on the newer frame, but I'm just curious.

body mounts should be pretty simple if the frame width is anywhere close.
just mock up the body and bed on the cleaned-off frame and figure out
where you need to put the new mounts on the frame and at what height.
Hopefully there's nothing too tall on the frame so it'll be easy to keep
it nice and low and wrapped around the framerails without going crazy with
the blue wrench.

> Whoopee, this is gonna be fun!

I hope so! sounds like a really nifty project.

> Oh, and I do want to post pictures, and see what y'all have been working
> on. I don't see any attachments on the digest mode. Guess I need to go
> to individual messages like on the yahoo groups???

we don't do attachments here. uses far too much bandwidth and not
everyone has adequete space in their inbox for them. If you don't have a
means of posting pictures one of us can hook you up (I could, but my DSL
connection is a bit on the frustratingly slow side for outbound),
or there's always ImageStation or PhotoCucket or CarDomain.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'