Re: Poly vs Rubber bushings (was: Rear Swaybar Bushings)

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 20:01:51 EST

I can't see how a poly bushing can last longer.

With rubber bushings the inner and outer shells are bonded to each other so
there is no sliding motion. As long as the rubber is not twisted past it's
elastic limits they should last all most indefinately and with most vehicles
never having them changed they certainly have been proven.

The poly bushings slide so if they do not have provisions to be greased they
will wear out. Definately stiffer and can improve the handling in a lot of
vehicles but I wouldn't say they will last longer.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <38087.66.73.245.4.1140535962.squirrel@webmail.omg-stfu.com>,
josh.lists@omg-stfu.com ("Josh Battles") writes:

> On Tue, February 21, 2006 12:11 am, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of which - does anyone have any opinions on poly vs rubber
> > bushings in general? The poly is supposed to be stiffer which will
> > result in better handling and a tighter ride, but I'm hesitant to try
> > it since I have heard poly can squeak something fierce. I think I'd
> > give up a little performance in exchange for not drawing the attention
> > of everyone at the local cruise-in as I pull in the lot going "squeak!
> > squeak! squeak!" :-) How about bushing durability? Does one wear
> > quicker than the other?
>
> Poly is definately stiffer and will wear longer in most cases. Switching
> will help eliminate most of the slop in the stock suspension. It is noisy
> though, I had a complete poly set on my stang and it creaked like crazy in
> anything less than 40 degree temperatures. If you keep them greased and it's
> warm out, nobody should be the wiser.
>
> --
> - Josh
> www.omg-stfu.com
>
> This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for
> Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other
> Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.
>
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |