Re: Ball joint replacement, anyone do it themselves?

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 22:55:14 EST

Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy) wrote:
> From me
> Does that labor number include alignment? I am guessing, been a while since I have needed one but that may cost about $100-130 alone, depending on location. And it is a MUST following the ball joint work.
> I don't know how the 4x4 is sprung up front, but here's my take...most of that labor is for pulling the arms off and putting them back on. You might want to think about doing the R&R yourself, taking the arms to the shop to have the joints swapped and then driving slowly to the shop to get aligned.

All I can think is that they are charging a lot for the parts as well.
That means $449 for parts, meaning $112.45 each. That's just crazy.
You could cut that in half easily just by buying the parts yourself,
assuming the shop will let you bring your own parts. In my experience
that usually depends on how much they like you :-)

-Bill
.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |