RE:Ball joint replacement, anyone do it themselves?

From: Zito, James A \(GE Infra, Energy\) (james.zito@ps.ge.com)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 17:50:47 EST

>From Garret
The tire shop said that I needed new upper and lower ball joints on my
Dakota yesterday. They quoted me a price of $888.06 installed. $439.00 of
that quote was labor.

>From me
Does that labor number include alignment? I am guessing, been a while since I have needed one but that may cost about $100-130 alone, depending on location. And it is a MUST following the ball joint work.
I don't know how the 4x4 is sprung up front, but here's my take...most of that labor is for pulling the arms off and putting them back on. You might want to think about doing the R&R yourself, taking the arms to the shop to have the joints swapped and then driving slowly to the shop to get aligned.

Jim
03 Red CC Dak, missing 2 pistons.

.
.