Re: Ball Joint and shock replacement problems...

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 17:14:16 EST

The axle is real ease to remove. Get a socket that fits the nut and use a
breaker bar with a piece of pipe to extend it for some extra leverage. Have
some one stand on the brakes to hold the hub and crack the nut loose. Then take
the six (or eight) nuts that hold the inner CV to the axle flange and the axle
will slide right out.

I forget the torque spec on the big nut but if you don't have a torque wrench
just divide the torque spec by your weight and stand on the breaker bar (while
it's horizontal) that far way for the center of the nut. Ex. 150 ft-lbs / 150
lbs equals one foot. 150 ft-lbs / 200 lbs equals .75 ft or 9". Once the wrench
moves reposition horizontal and repeat until you can stand on the wrench with
no motion.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <dttck5$7ui$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, chris92@insightbb.com ("Chris
Reck") writes:

> Hi,
>
> I need some advice with my ball joints. I started to go ahead and do them
> myself (got the top ones replaced just fine); but the bottom ones are
> causing me trouble. I have the pickle fork, but I just realized that I
> won't be able to remove the ball joint unless I remove the front axle off of
> the spindle (it's right above the ball joint and will prevent the ball joint
> from popping out.
>
> Anyone have advice on how to do this on a 4x4? Better yet, anyone willing
> to come by (3 hours SW of Chicago) and offer a hand? I'll supply food and
> beer/pop/whatever...
>
> Also, I severed the lower shock bolt mount in half while removing the shock.
> There's about 3" sticking out of the hole. Anyone know how I can best
> remove this? I have plenty of threads availalbe that I could put some nuts
> on to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Chris Reck
> Bloomington, IL
>
> '99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
> Shaved and polished V8 TB, Autolite 3923, 180 Thermostat, 7.5mm Bosch plug
> wires,
> Custom K&N 6x9 air intake, Rancho RSX shocks, Pioneer full audio system,
> Jet Stage 1 Chip, BF Goodrich 32x11.5r15 T/A KO tires, Gibson 3" CatBack
> Exhaust
>

> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |