Re: Maintenance Questions

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 23:32:27 EST

On Wed, March 1, 2006 4:38 pm, JameyWelch@freightliner.com wrote:

> 99 2WD Club Cab 5.2L
>
> 1. If I support the bottom control arm with a jack, do I need to remove
> the big spring?

No. You shouldn't remove the spring at all for this job unless you plan on
removing the lower control arm.

> 2. Could I not loosen the bottom nut a good bit and then hand thread it
> back on and hit the bottom hard with a hammer to try to force the ball
> joint out instead of using a pickle fork, which I don't have?

In another post I mentioned a trick with a wooden block. Since you've got a
2wd the upper control arm is mounted above the framerail. With the truck on
jackstands with the front suspension hanging, support the full weight of the
vehicle with with a floorjack under the control arm. Wedge a short section
of 2x4 (~4 inches long) in the cavity between the upper arm and the frame.
Then undo the nut that holds the lower balljoint into the knuckle and
*slowly* let the jack down until it just seperates. You can then lift the
upper arm off and move the knuckle out of the way.

You could also purchase a picklefork, they're relatively inexpensive.

> 3. If I do need to remove the spring, is it a good idea to change the
> control arm bushings out while I am in there? How do I tell if the
> bushings are bad?

After the vehicle is on stands take a look at the ears that the control arm
is mounted into. At each end you should see a little bit of black rubber,
that's the bushing. If there's slop or it's missing you'll be able to feel
it when you're moving, other than moving the control arm with your hands or a
prybar there's not really any way to check them. It's still a good idea to
take a peek as long as you're in there though.

IIRC you'll need to have them pressed out and new ones pressed in.

> 4. Should I change the original shocks out while I am doing this? What
> replacement brand should I use? I like the feel of the stock springs
> but want a good brand.

You can, any time the wheels are off is just as easy though. There's one
bolt at the top of the shock, just inside the opening of the upper control
arm. The easiest way to disconnect it here is to put a deepwell socket on it
(14mm IIRC) and using a ratchet handle from inside the wheelwell, rock it
until it breaks off. It should only take a few tries. Alternatively, you
can to this through the hood, with a couple of long extensions on a socket
you should be able to break it rather easily. The bottom bolts (10mm IIRC)
are secured to the lower control arm, be sure to soak them with penetrating
oil (PB Blaster is always a favorite) before you try and remove them. Don't
save the rubber shaft bushings that are on your shocks now, use the new ones
that come in the kit, that's why they give them to you.

> 5. How/Can I remove the shocks without taking the spring off?

See above

> 7. I have rear ABS. When changing the rear brake shoes, is there
> anything special I need to do, or buy?

No, just make sure you get the right size shoes. Dakotas were offered with
both 9" and 10" drums. I have a new set of 9" Mopar shoes if you'd like
them, just make a fair offer. They might be 10" ones though, if you're
interested I'll post the part number off of the box.

> 8. When changing the front brake pads, do I have to completely remove
> the caliper?

Absolutely. You can't get the pads out any other way. On my 2000, the
caliper bolts are an odd size metric allen wrench, a 13mm or 17mm IIRC. I
had to pick up a socket because that size wasn't part of the standard kit I
had. It's possible they're different on a 99 though.

> I know this is a lot of info, but I have never done anything with the
> front end before and I don't want to waste a lot of time/money in doing
> this. Please submit the best and easiest methods if you can. Thanks
> for all the continued information gentlemen!

Check the archives, I posted a FSM for 2000 a few days ago that might be of
use to you. If you can't find it and would like to download the file, hit me
offlist.

Hope this helps.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'