Maintenance Questions

From: JameyWelch@freightliner.com
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 17:38:27 EST

Ok guys...a few questions. I think I am going to be brave enough to
attempt to change my ball joints out myself. A few things to
remember...my truck is 99 2WD Club Cab 5.2L. 93,000 miles

1. If I support the bottom control arm with a jack, do I need to remove
the big spring?

2. Could I not loosen the bottom nut a good bit and then hand thread it
back on and hit the bottom hard with a hammer to try to force the ball
joint out instead of using a pickle fork, which I don't have?

3. If I do need to remove the spring, is it a good idea to change the
control arm bushings out while I am in there? How do I tell if the
bushings are bad?

4. Should I change the original shocks out while I am doing this? What
replacement brand should I use? I like the feel of the stock springs
but want a good brand.

5. How/Can I remove the shocks without taking the spring off?

6. If I need to remove the spring, which spring compressor should I
use/rent so that I won't get hurt.

7. I have rear ABS. When changing the rear brake shoes, is there
anything special I need to do, or buy?

8. When changing the front brake pads, do I have to completely remove
the caliper?

I know this is a lot of info, but I have never done anything with the
front end before and I don't want to waste a lot of time/money in doing
this. Please submit the best and easiest methods if you can. Thanks
for all the continued information gentlemen!

Jamey

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |