Re: Ball Joint and shock replacement

From: Alberto Aguirre Jr (bluedoberman@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 16:12:04 EST

     I've done SOME work, I am not a "straight to
dealer service" kinda guy. Not on the Dakota though.
I had 2 87 Blazers I had to mess with back in the day.

    I have airtools at my disposal but not a balljoint
"press". I can go with either the grinder or
airchisel/shear or a combination of both. I also
keep hearing the new balljoints just bolt in...and the
"press" is only for the 4x4's. I have a 2WD Dakota.
It sounds like getting the balljoin out is the tough
part and putting it back is easy.
    Is the "Bushing Press" the same device as the
"balljoint press" and do I really need it?

> If you've never done any sort of mechanical work
> it's going to take you quite
> some time. If you have airtools it'll be much
> faster than with handtools.
> The first time I did it (with airtools) it took me
> about an hour to do one
> lower joint and I'd consider myself very
> mechanically inclined.
>
> If you're a little weary about it, turn your wheels
> all the way to lock and
> stick your head in there and take a look at what
> you're going to have to deal
> with. The rivets are about ½" diameter and would
> need to be drilled or
> sheared out, then the new joint bolted in.

I really want to make sure the balljoints I got online
match what I have BEFORE I do ANYTHING, so I will be
doing that this afternoon.

> Shocks are easy though, with a lift and airtools you
> can do them all in about
> 90 minutes. Without a lift or airtools you're
> probably looking at 2 hours,
> maybe more.
>
> Should you attempt to save yourself $200? That all
> depends on how valuable
> your time is worth. It was worth it for me.

Thats $200 I can spend on cabaret, or beer, or
barbecue, or more stuff for the Dakota off of eBay!!
I think I WILL give it a shot!! I have all Saturday
and Sunday. I just need to rent the Spring compressor
from Auto Zone or somewhere.
May the force be with me.

> --
> - Josh
> www.omg-stfu.com
>
> This message has been brought to you by the American
> Kneejerk Coalition for
> Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic
> Unity of Self And Other
> Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or
> AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.
>
> .
> .

> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML
> Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info:
> http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.