Re: Ball Joint and shock replacement

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 17:19:36 EST

I do 99% of all work on my vehicles so there would be no question in my mind
about doing ball joints.

I feel quite confident that I could replace both upper ball joints on my 99
Dakota in an hour or less. The lower ball joints on my 99 4x4 is are held in
the lower control arm by a snap ring and I am not sure how tightly they fit
once the ring is removed so I am hesitant to make a prediction on time.

Everytime I have replaced control arm bushings it has taken some fiddling to
get the old ones out. I would plan a couple of hours per arm for the bushings.
If you have access to a proper press (one of the next tools on my list) it
would be much less.

If you were to pay someone to do the work (all ball joints and bushings) I
would think 6 or 7 hours of labor would be reasonable.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4

In article <20060303190611.33899.qmail@web50403.mail.yahoo.com>,
bluedoberman@yahoo.com (Alberto Aguirre Jr) writes:

> OK on here people make it sound like its an easy or at
> leasy do-able by most people task. Maybe I am
> misinterpreting. The last I guy I called asking how
> much he'd do it for, kinda wigged out. As soon as I
> mentioned Ball Joints and Bushings he made a wincing
> sound. He said "that is a bog job and every
> mechanic's nightmare" Is he overdoing it at all?
> Should I leave it to him for anywhere at $150-200, an
> ASE Certified mechanic, doing it from home to watch
> the kids on his own? Or should I attempt to do it
> myself and save $200?
>
> Alberto Aguirre
> Black '98 5.2L v8 Dakota Sport CC
> Mods:Dynomax catback exhaust with dual exits,Kenwood cd player(previous 2
stolen),Alpine Security, K&N....that's it so far more to come.
> http://alberto.dualhex.com
>
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |