RE: DML:Starting problems

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 16:25:15 EST

Actually you do have to do this in cases where the battery voltage is too
low to make the PCM happy. Confirmed by a Mopar tech when I experienced it
with my 2000 Grand Cherokee. Only happened when the car wasn't driven for
a week or so. I'd have to keep my foot on the gas until it ran for about
10 minutes and then it would be fine. My mother's Chrysler did the same
thing when she didn't drive it often. In our cases the batteries were fine
but just needed charged after sitting so long. We both have alarm systems
that cause some extra drain. I now hook mine up to a battery tender when
I'm not going to drive it for a while and it always starts fine.

Jay's problem is likely to be a weak battery. At least it's easy to check
the voltage before starting it to be sure. I don't know the exact
threshold that freaks the PCM but it's somewhere below 12.4 volts.

Ray

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |