RE: redline/royal purple rear end oil numbers....

From: msnbcnnbcbs@hotmail.com
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 09:51:29 EST

The last time I had this done, I had followed someone else's advice (on the
list, maybe about 2 years ago, although i cant find the post now) who stated it
was best to to spray it down completely with brake cleaner, and let it sit for
a while and dry. I also cleaned the magnet at the bottom.

The brake cleaner did clean a lot of leftover stuff that didnt drain out, and
it was very clean when I was done.

I noticed no side effects at all. Its been two years since I did it.

In article <41021.66.73.245.4.1141998404.squirrel@webmail.omg-stfu.com>,
josh.lists@omg-stfu.com ("Josh Battles") writes:

> On Fri, March 10, 2006 12:16 am, Rick Barnes wrote:
> >
> > That sure sounds better than brake cleaner
> >
> > Rascal
>
> True enough, but I still don't see the point in it. Gear oil isn't really
> all that thick, it'll run off of the gears all by itself if you give it the
> chance. Hosing everything down with brake cleaner or another solvent (motor
> oil in this case) just to get those last few drops of old gear oil off of
> everything seems a waste of time IMHO.
>
> What's the reasoning behind using brake cleaner / motor oil / other solvent
> to clean everything off? Over the years I've changed diff oil many times and
> never cleaned anything inside except for the magnet. I've never had any
> issues and have always been able to inspect everything just fine. I don't
> see it as giving a return worth the effort, but maybe I'm mistaken....
>
> --
> - Josh
> www.omg-stfu.com
>
> This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for
> Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other
> Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.
>
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |