RE: Hard starting fuel injectors?

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 08:06:21 EST

MSD Superconductors, Autolite
> 3923's
> > .040, Accel supercoil, Accel cap and rotor, Accel 21# fuel injectors and
> > relocated IAT sensor to intake tube. <snip>
> The
> > problem is the truck is hard starting, even after sitting just a few
> minutes.
> > <snip> I'm stumped and any help would
> be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks Kevin
> > 98 CC 4x4 Deep Amethyst
>
> That's an interesting set of modifications. I would suspect the
> injectors first. Try swapping your stock injectors back in and see what
> happens. I think 21# injectors are a little too rich for a truck with
> only those kinds of mods. If you were running a blower or some other
> radical stuff I would say you could use them...
>
> Pull the plugs and see if they are fouling. With the 160 degree thermo,
> the colder plugs, the power programmer *and* the bigger injectors - your
> engine is going to be sucking down gas like nobodys business - betcha
> any money its running rich.
>
> <snip> Your engine probably isn't getting warm enough to cook off all
> the fuel and you are not getting good combustion. Also a good way to
> roast a CAT.

Kevin, I think Tom hit the nail on the head. There are several mods you
have that contribute to a richer mixture. I'm speaking from personal
experience here as I've tried them all and my trusty scanner and drag strip
time slips clearly show what works and what doesn't.

21 lb injectors = way too rich. Even "new" 19 lb Accels are too rich.
160 degree thermostat = richer mix.
IAT sensor in intake tube = richer mix.
3923 plugs = too cold for normal driving with a rich mix.

You didn't mention fuel octane but higher = slower burn.
Even with all my mods (see dragtruk link) anything over 92 slows me down.
HTH.
Ray

.
.