Re: Hard starting fuel injectors?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 22:43:05 EST

phatdak98@comcast.net wrote:
> Ok guys, here's one for ya. I have been a member for years but this is my first
> posting. Did some work on the dak this weekend. Here's what I got. 98 CC 4x4
> 5.2l Hypertech power programmer, 3" cat back, Intense performance stage II
> intake, 160 stat, and Poweraid throttle body spacer. This weekend decided to do
> a tune up and a few extras. Installed MSD Superconductors, Autolite 3923's
> .040, Accel supercoil, Accel cap and rotor, Accel 21# fuel injectors and
> relocated IAT sensor to intake tube. Truck defiantly has more grunt now. The
> problem is the truck is hard starting, even after sitting just a few minutes.
> Going back and looking at past posts I've tried cycling the ignition switch to
> test the fuel pump and it doesn't seem to help. It also stalled three times
> earlier today but that could be the computer relearning. Didn't stall or drop
> it rpm later on in the day. I was thinking the fuel injectors could be flooding
> the engine at start up. That is how it act's then it starts. Although I don't
> see black smoke nor is there any at WOT. I'm stumped and any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks Kevin
> 98 CC 4x4 Deep Amethyst

That's an interesting set of modifications. I would suspect the
injectors first. Try swapping your stock injectors back in and see what
happens. I think 21# injectors are a little too rich for a truck with
only those kinds of mods. If you were running a blower or some other
radical stuff I would say you could use them...

Pull the plugs and see if they are fouling. With the 160 degree thermo,
the colder plugs, the power programmer *and* the bigger injectors - your
engine is going to be sucking down gas like nobodys business - betcha
any money its running rich.

I'm not too sure I like the power programmer all that much... I had a
funky ass throttle problem which seemed to go away after I returned the
Power Programmer tune settings to stock. It would just loose power and
stumble and sometimes die. However - I'm not willing to spin that off
on the Power Programmer. I think I have a crummy throttle position
sensor.

I was running a stock thermostat and stock plugs (now running 3923's)
and never had a detonation problem with the power programmer (using 93
octane) Your engine probably isn't getting warm enough to cook off all
the fuel and you are not getting good combustion. Also a good way to
roast a CAT.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'