Re: Anyone going to Nashville,Tn in June...

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2006 - 09:37:56 EST

On Sat, March 25, 2006 3:28 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Could be - that'd be nice. Although I seem to recall reading somewhere
> that the people who are stamping the Camaro bodies are looking into doing
> some other vehicles, and they were asked if they would consider doing a
> Mopar E body and they turned the idea down flat - said there was no market
> for it. (Yeah OK, clones are selling for $50K and up to $5 million for the
> real deal, but there's no market for that car...) That might not be a
> completely bad thing at this point though, I've heard that the quality of
> the "new" '69 Camaros isn't quite there yet, and the prices are pretty
> steep too, IMHO. Guess we'll just have to give 'em a few years and see
> what happens.

Old Mopars always get a bad rap. They're some of the most fantastic vehicles
on the planet but they're like an exclusive club for the most part. I could
go out and spend $3k and get a very nice almost rust-free first generation
6-cylinder Mustang. First gen Camaros are more than that, but still not in a
pricerange I'd consider high, like Mopars are. Perhaps the company is
selling themselves short.

> I guess so. There's plenty of wood where that came from, with more
> growing all the time. Its cool to watch a bonfire explode, but that
> doesn't mean it'd be cool to watch somebody's house or a school bus
> full of kids explode. Somewhere between those extremes is a line where
> it's not fun to watch something explode, I guess I just reach that line
> sooner than most people.

What's not fun about watching a busload of kids explode?

> One man's trash is another man's treasure. Somebody else might be
> glad to have that motor; donate it to a high school auto shop or save
> it for a future project. If all else fails, it'd make a cool coffee
> table. :-) No matter how far gone something might seem to be, I think
> its probably got at least *some* redeeming value left, and it sure doesn't
> deserve to be destroyed. I wish more people were of the same mindset;
> especially the guys who were scrapping Cudas in the late 70s because they
> "weren't worth anything". :-(

True enough, but if I was looking for a coffee table I'd think that a block
that had a rod or something go through it would fit the bill quite nicely.
It's always fun to be able to tell someone you blew it up in a blaze of glory
and then made it into a coffee table because you didn't know what else to do
with it. I'm sure that'd make for great stories.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'