Re: Last years for 5.9L engine

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 08:18:26 EST

My understanding was Dodge Truck exceeded the allowed CAFE credits for the 2000
model year as a whole. CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) is the average
Fuel Economy of all the models offered and I believe the standard was 20.7 mpg
for light trucks. Because their average was less than that, they were facing
rather stiff fines however the loophole was there was no restriction as to how
early in the year they can start building the next model year. Typically that
change over happens in Jul-Aug time frame. But Dodge was facing fines and they
were banking on the PT Cruiser (new for 2001) to help with their CAFE credit
issues, So they released the 2001 Dodge Truck model year on Jan 1, 2000. I was
under the impression it was all Dodge Truck models however I could be wrong. I
know for sure the 2001 Ram, the PT cruiser and the 2001 Caravan mini van models
all started production early Jan 2000. I recall reading somewhere PT Cruiser
and Caravan mini van production started sometime in the second week of Jan,
around Jan 10th. I thought the Dakota was bumped up also but now I'm not sure.

Walt

In article <b26be6d90603281144o61ba617bxb3102dd1f34ddc57@mail.gmail.com>,
andy.levy@gmail.com ("Andy Levy") writes:

> On 3/28/06, Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ed McCarrick wrote:
> > >

> > > --- Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:
> > > All truck built after Jan 1,
> > >

> > > Hey Walt,
> > > Mine was built in May 2000 is still a 2000. I ordered
> > > it March 2000.
> > >
> > > Ed
> > > 2000 QC 4X4
> > >

> > Hmmm - I wonder if Ed's truck is a 2000?
>
> I thought that "short 2000 model year" was for Rams only.
>
> Ed's VIN will tell real quick if it's a 2000 or 2001.
>
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |