Jeeps are worse than Heroin...

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 00:01:59 EST

Some of you know, I am a recovering Jeeper. Jeeps, in case you diddnt
know, are worse than Heroin. You ALWAYS want "just one more" no matter
how bad yo uknow they are for you...

...Which brings me to my current dilema. A girl I work with "blew up"
her jeep [her words, not mine] and is now offering it for sale for $500.
  It is a 93 Cherokee, 4.0L, auto, 4wd, 100k miles. Supposedly she had
a mechanic charge her $500 to swap the timing chain, but he "stopped"
because he found it needed a head gasket and had bent valves.
Supposedly it runs, just poorly, as in 4 out of 6 cylinders poorly. All
of this info is suspect because she is not "car people" and admits she
barely knows where the gas goes.

So obvious questions:

#1 if this thing really did shuck a timing chain, is it an interference
motor?
#2 if the head gasket is out of it, I should see water/froth in the oil,
right?
#3 It seems I can get a junkyard motor dropped in for less than a
grand, total [$300 labor, $600 motor.].
#4 What are the odds that I just put a head gasket in it, and have that
work?
#5 If it runs, my gut feeling is that it can't be that forked up, can
it? Supposedly it is driveable, just not well..
#6 If I do have bent valves and stuff, is it likely that I could get
away with putting a head on it, or should I skip directly to the
junkyard motor?

...Or should I just go looking for some Methadone....

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |