Re: RE: Tire Chains

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 17:59:13 EST

DML Newsgroups wrote:
> I got tire chanins that I just picked up coming down the pass in Reno, NV.
> I needed them because I was towing an empty 25' trailer.

My consensus was this:

Standard "real" chains fit fine on the rear. I use two sets of
adjusters to make sure they don't come loose. No clearance issues, even
when flexed and going over bumps.

Standard "real" chains would rip up the front. There's not enough
clearance between the outer front of the tire and the rearmost piece of
the bumper/front trim. However, cable chains fit fine as long as they
are kept tight. The only time I could see a potential problem is when
turning just the right amount (there's only a range of about 1/2 turn of
the wheel where the clearance would be an issue) and hitting a large bump.

(This was on a stock height 2000 4x4 with 31x10.5x15s)

-Bill
.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |