Re: Cheap exhaust parts

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 14:32:55 EDT

On Wed, April 5, 2006 11:23 pm, Terrible Tom said:

> Yep - I remember that - was the year I had the rented Intrepid. I
> remember Ed commenting that the exhaust was louder than his at the time.

That didn't last very long :-).

> I'm really stunned that stuff is falling apart after such a short
> period.

Gee, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with environmental factors,
could it? :-) I mean, this was taken the day after Jon installed that
exhaust:
http://www.dakota-truck.net/meet/daktoberfest2002/stills/jason_stream3.jpg

(It just occurred to me that this was the last time this truck ever went
off-road, but still.)

Plus, if you recall, there was the issue of a a small impact trauma:
http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0511/0437.html (I first noticed that the
exhaust note sounded louder right after I did that). I think the system was
starting to weaken and then I managed to knock it loose. It's hard to say how
much longer it would have lasted without that.

I am kind of surprised that I didn't get more than three years out of it, but
I knew it probably wouldn't last very long when I got it. I mean, the Gibson
cat-back is what, about $350? The Dynomax system was $109 when I got it. I
figured at three times the price, I'd rather get the Dynomax and replace it
when it needed it, a decision I still don't regret except for the added
hassle. If I wanted something that was going to last, I'd fork over the cash
for a Borla.

> Napa sells exhaust sticks by the foot in lengths up to of 10 feet, in
> various gauges and grades. I don't remember what it sells for per foot
> - couple bucks I think.

Ah, maybe that price Jon saw on the web site was the per foot price. That
changes things significantly.

> Napa also sells exhaust prebent (however, not mandrel bent usually)
> but usually has most in stock. Autozone has to order all exhaust. heehee

Mandrel bends aren't necessary for a daily driver. If you get a chance, think
you can look up a part number and price for the pre-bent tail pipe? I realize
prices may vary, but I'd like to have a general idea. If you don't get to it,
no big deal, I can always call the local store myself. I just figure you
already have a good idea what I need, where the guy who answers the phone at
my local store may or may not have the slightest clue what a Dakota even looks
like.

Thanks.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'