Re: Cheap exhaust parts

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 18:26:38 EDT

On Thu, April 6, 2006 4:52 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> Hmmm, Ok, I didn't even know Autozone sold pre-formed tailpipe. I'm so
> used to not being able to get any application specific parts from parts
> stores that it never even crossed my mind that such an animal might exist.
> :-)

LOL... shades of http://archives.dakota-truck.net/9809/3129.html ? :-) Or
just a comment on parts stores in general?

> I tried to look at Rock Auto yesterday, drilled down to a 95 Dak V6,
> but whenever I clicked on exhaust pipe, it would just hang and not do
> anything. Seems to be working now though. Weird.

I guess their web server was too busy talking to me. They must run their site
on an Amiga they recycled out of a dumpster or something.

> Ok, I stopped at the local NAPA and got some prices.

Thanks! Hope you didn't go too far out of your way just for that.

> They have a pre-bent tailpipe for your application for $25, and a
> generic muffler with something like a 2-3 year warranty for $37.

Sounds pretty good to me.

> They also sell an "OEM muffer" which carries a lifetime warranty.
> Unfortunately, the OEM muffler is $107, IIRC, but on the plus side
> the warranty is for life. If it ever rusts out, just bring it in
> with your original receipt for a replacement. I'm not sure if that's
> something you'd be interested in or not.

Nah... I've realized we really can't afford to keep both trucks outfitted in
top of the line parts, so I've decided to concentrate on the 2001. If we
can't have two really nice trucks, at least we can have one. Really, the only
reason I'm still driving my '95 is for the emotional attachment. From a
financial standpoint, I probably should have traded it for a Neon a couple of
years ago (like 10 minutes after we bought the RV). Basically, the more money
I throw at the '95, the less I have to spend on the 2001. Plus I'm not sure
how much longer I want to keep the '95, I'm thinking I'll probably replace it
within the next three years. It'll depend on what happens with Norah's new
career and whether we end up moving. Thanks for the info, though.

(Speaking of the 2001, I've noticed Bridgestone has a rebate going on the
Revos... hmmm...)

> When I checked, the generic
> muffler and the tailpipe were both in stock, but even on stuff that's
> not in stock, it can be ordered and it'll show up the next day.

I might ask my local NAPA what their prices are like and try to have them in
hand before heading down. I'd be most upset if I drove all the way down there
and they told me they'd have to get the parts in for the next day. I guess I
could always call the day before to make sure the parts are in stock and have
them set aside for me. Do you know the phone number of the store you went to?

What else are we going to need? Two clamps, I know. The hangers are already
on the pre-bent tail pipe, aren't they? I think the rubber isolators that are
on there are still okay.

> I checked on straight exhaust tubing also, and the price for 2.5" was
> about $2.60/foot. So a ten foot section would be $26.

Might as well get the pre-bent pipe for $25 and save the hassle. I doubt it's
quite ten feet long, but I'm guessing we'd want some extra to account for the
fudge factor.

Thanks again.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'