1946 Dakota Project

From: Bob (64ragtop@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 16:27:16 EDT

Ok, gang, out of lurk mode again. Been reading with interest, and
picking up bits of info pretty regularly, thanks!
I bought a '91 Dak 3.9/5 speed with a pretty bad "crunch" going into
third. Figure it's the synchro, but since
I have a bad left leg from my Navy years, I'm going with a slushbox for
my project. Also going with an old-style,
"Poly" or "Semi Hemi" V-8 because my sister and I both tried to kill our
family, plymouth 4-door "uncoolmoblle"
all the way thruogh high school and couldn't do it. Between us we
mistreated that ol 318 for nearly ten years and
not only didn't kill it, but surprised a bunch of "off brand" drivers as
well. Besides I like the Ederbrock valve
covers for the poly motor.

All that said, I wanted to pass along a link to some pics of a similar
project, and a question or two. First, the link:

> http://community.webshots.com/album/300985977tszAFe

I called Schumaker (engineswaps.com) for info on my planned swap and was
told that the poly motor will work
with standard LA engine mounts, and the extra two cylinders will be
forward of the engine mounts, so the cab will
be placed on the frame in the same location as if I kept the V-6. Their
kit to swap "Dakota 4banger and v-6 to v-8
and B/RB" with the 727 tranny mount is gonna cost me nigh onto
$500.00!!! They say "direct bolt on using
existing holes. Kit includes two mounting perches, brackets and
insulators, bolts and instructins"

So, my questions:
1. Anyone here ever done this?
2. How much of the Schumaker kit basically duplicates the factory stuff
(mounting perches, especially)?
3. Any sources for parts that may substitute for theirs, such as
factory engine mounts, etc.

I don't mind paying for what I get, and support the right of merchants
to make a fair profit, but military
disability retired pay doesn't amount to a get rich quick plan, and I've
gotta budget pretty carefully.

I very much appreciate the expertise of you members who have years of
experience driving, repairing and
competing with your Dakotas. I plan on making my '46, a cool
tribute/predacessor to the modern Dak.

Thanks much!

BC

.