Re: Colorado BBQ Convoy

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 19:38:45 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: On Tue, April 25, 2006 5:55 pm, Josh Battles said:
:> Wow, that's wild. I'd have thought the difference would be more than that.
:> I guess if it's only a 10 mile difference...

: That's what Google says. Well, it gives me kms from here, but when I convert
: that to miles it's only 10 less than what it says from Jon's place. We're
: almost straight north of him, the only reason it even takes two hours to get
: down there is that someone put a couple of huge lakes right in the way.

   The lakes are actually a large moat, dug by Seneca indians in a desperate
attempt to prevent the inevitable Tim Hortons invasion. Regrettably, they
were not a deterrent. :-)

:> Indiana is great for groceries, the sales tax is like 5%. I actually do a
:> fairly decent amount of shopping there because of it.

: Not bad. NY isn't too bad either. IIRC, they don't charge sales tax on food
: items, similar to Ontario. Jon, is that right? (Note that in Ontario, things
: like Coke and potato chips don't count as food, it's just basic stuff like
: bread and water that isn't taxed.)

   Yep, same thing in NY. They make up for it though by taxing you extra
hard on everything else. ;-)

:> It's too far for
:> anything perishable (but since you've got a fridge in the camper...) but it's
:> fantastic for dry goods.

: We do have a fridge, but that raises another issue. I've recently become
: convinced that it's a Very Bad Idea (tm) to drive with the propane turned on,
: which is what powers the fridge when not plugged in to an outlet. Our fridge
: can't run off of 12V DC. I'm probably going to just put a block of ice in
: there and take advantage of the natural insulating properties to keep things
: cool. It won't be much better than a cooler, but it'll work. Or, I might
: just use the cooler instead (or maybe even in addition). We will be able to
: turn it on at night when we're parked, so keeping the ice in the fridge will
: also make it easier to get the fridge cooled down at that point. During the
: day it's going to be block ice, so no mayonnaise or other volatile
: perishables.

   Would it be possible or any safer to rig up a mechanism for powering
the fridge from a camp stove sized propane bottle? What is it about
the propane which is dangerous - a crash where the line breaks and fuels
a fire? If so, maybe a mercury switch and/or accelerometer could be used
to turn off a gas solenoid? (A tilt of a certain angle or an impact of
a certain force would trip it and it would have to be manually reset to
open the line again.)

:> Looks like you've got your loophole as Mike has already volunteered.

: Indeed, I just saw that. Now all we need is an inventory of what Jon is
: planning on loading in to our trailer.

   As far as stuff for myself goes, the only things I can think of are
a tent and possibly paintball stuff. There are the DML canopies of
course, and probably the DML banner, but that's for everybody. :-)
I guess I'll have to start making a list. :-) I had thought for
about 2 seconds about asking you to stash my AR-15 and a case of 5.56
in there somewhere for the shooting range, but quickly dismissed the
idea; that's probably more potential trouble than its worth. :-)

[...]
: However, in our case, it might work out better. We'd have to go through
: Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Kansas City, but we'd avoid part of
: Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago, Denver and the huge toll stretch of I-80/90
: through northern Ohio and Indiana.

  Oops - I really need to read the whole thread before I start posting.
I see you already found the alternate route a few days before I described
it in my message today. :-) According to my map though, it actually
subtracted 18 miles as opposed to adding 45. (Although it did add 18
minutes.) Either way, probably negligible for a trip of this length.
If it were me, I'd be taking the I-70 route for sure, for no other
reason than to avoid the tolls. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --' . . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'