Re: CB Radios

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 14:51:58 EDT

On Tue, May 2, 2006 4:57 pm, Bill S. wrote:

> You have chosen wisely. The radio with the stage one hi-perf package
> will do a good job for you. The Firestik antennas are an excellent
> choice also, I have just installed on thru the roof of my DAK.
> Obviously the longer taller the Firestik the better and I would
> recommend a Firestik 2 (FSII) as they are tunable. See here:
> http://www.claysradioshop.com/citizensband_firestick%20antennas%20FS.htm

That looks pretty good. What's the deal with length? Longer = better? I
live in a pretty urban area, do I need to take that into consideration?

> I question the use of a magnet mount for any serious antenna
> installation, in the long run your paint will be damaged. I figure
> that if I sell the truck it'll be better to have an nice antenna mount
> on the roof rather than a nasty scratched to hell circle where the
> magnet was. My recent install was done using Firestik's Double D hole
> mount. See here:
> http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/K4-DD.htm

Paint damage is pretty trivial. The car is 19 years old, I'm not worried if
I get a circular scratch zone on the roof. If it were to go on the Dak I'd
put something between the antenna and roof and it would only be for roadtrip
use as it's not my DD anymore. Plus, if I decide I really like having a CB I
can upgrade later, antenna mounts aren't all that expensive. Then I'd have a
mag mount I could use anywhere.

> For the coax I used Firestik's FireRing type coax because it's low
> profile and fits under the headliner very well. See here:
> http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/K-8R18.htm

Cool, that looks like it'd work wonderfully.

> As for you question about a power mic; if you get one, get a good one.
> I've used the Astatic mic for decades and haven't had a bad one yet,
> this would be a good choice:
> http://www.copper.com/cgi-bin/checkitout/checkitout.cgi?catalogSTORE:CKIE:prodA70-05010+

That looks like a nice mic. Astatic is the brandname? What are the
advantages of using a power mic over a standard mic?

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'