Re: 2006 Dakota R/T

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 15:22:05 EDT

I gotta put my .02 in on this one! :)

I've had my 05 for 18 months now, and I'm happy to have it as a daily
driver. I have 34k on it, had no real problems with it, gets good gas
millage... I'm happy with it.

But does it stack up to my 98?? Hell no!

I wanted something I could easily modify, get some decent HP from, and
have some fun with. Even with the 4.7, the PCM really locks things
down, and makes modding it hard. Plus I've got 1000 more pounds of dead
weight compared to my 98. The 05's are not a sport truck, like the
gen3's are. The gen4's are more for work, and they fit the bill great
as a work truck. But since I wanted something sporty, my 05 is not what
I wanted, and made me run back to my 98 and play with that! :)

If you need proof, check this out! http://garyhedlin.com/resurection.html

The new R/T's are a joke, IMHO. Even with the 4.7 HO, The power doesnt
stack up to a 5.9. Add to that the PCM and the weight, and it's nothing
even close to a gen3 RT. The graphics only reinforce the joke of it.

..Now there are other R/T products in the Dodge line that are just trim
packages. Ever since the SRT's came out, it's been a hard pill to
swallow that R/T's are just "Trim Packages", but that's just how the
cookie crumbles now.

They should put the HEMI in the gen4's, IMHO. They have the 45RFE
trans, the engine will fit, why not?? I dunno if DC is afraid of
loosing Ram sales or what, but they've screwed the pooch on the Dakota
line. Having a rebadged Mitsu isn't helping at all, they need to
actually give people what they want.

So in closing, let's not forget something.... The Gen4's were designed
more for a work truck. They did that job well. But when you take a
truck that's been known as a "sport truck" for 8 years and turn it into
   a work truck, that's suicide when you know the people you want to
sell to want a sport truck. Not even a trim package can save this
sinking ship.

Gary Hedlin
98 Dakota RC Sport 3.9
05 Dakota CC SLT 4.7