Re: 2006 Dakota R/T

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 23:37:50 EDT

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> So in closing, let's not forget something.... The Gen4's were designed
> more for a work truck. They did that job well.

Sup Gary :) Sorry dude - I gotta do a 180 on this one. The Gen IV's
in my opinion were not designed to be a "work truck" Yeah they have
higher tow ratings and payload ratings - but thats about it. I took a
4.7L Club cab 4x4 auto out for a spin, in Mineral Grey ( *spits* -
Graphite Metallic is a superior color) and I had very mixed feelings
(see my original post below)

http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0409/0789.html

I crawled under the truck my local stealer had in the show room and
scrutinized the front suspension. I was dissapointed. There are lots
of low hanging dangley parts that would get eaten up easily with any
mild trail riding. A small rock could hammer the crossmember to bits.

Compared to a Gen III - the Gen IV may as well be a passenger car. I've
  rarely seen a 2wd and a 4wd truck have the same ride height as the
Dakota does. The only others that I can think of that I've seen have
2wd/4wd ride heights the sam, are Ford Exploders... perhaps the
Cherokees (both the grand and the classic). Even the Gen I Durangos had
different suspension heights between 2wd and 4wd - naturally as they
were based off the Gen III Daks which obviously had height differences.

Petersens 4 Wheel blew up the front differential - litterally broke the
case in two - during their 4wheeler of the year test, back when the
truck first came out. Now for a stationary non-load bearing
differential, (one that does not articulate with the axle and is
subjected to no suspension weight issues - such as a live solid axle) -
to physically break it in two would seem to indicate it does not have
the durability and strength that a "work truck" would need.

I've put Christine through stuff that would probably snap a Gen IV in
half. She has been a snow plow truck virtually all of her life, I've
hauled more than 3000lbs of concrete rubble in the bed, and wheeled her
with vigor. I consider Christine a far superior work truck than any Gen
IV. AND!! You can't even get an 8 foot bed in a Gen IV!

The Gen IV has a cushy suspension, creature comforts, and a carlike
ride... "so in closing" heh - in my opinion I consider the gen IV Dak to
be targeted at the SUV soccer mom crowd who want a cushy truck to tow
the boat/snow mobiles/ATVs/bicycles on a weekend get away with 5 people.

I step down off my soap box...

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'