Re: 2006 Dakota R/T

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 04:36:02 EDT

Oh I can buy your argument about it being more of a passenger
vehicle,But let me throw this into the mix; Last year when I was driving
a Ford F150 when the 05 got rear-ended, the F150 was probably the nicest
driving full-size I've ever been in. It had a lot of nice stuff,
probably comparable to the 05 but a lot bigger. I doubt you would
disagree with me when I say that an F150 is a quintessential work truck
by all means.

My Dad's last work truck was a 92 F-150... stick shift, vinyl seats,
rubber floor, no AC, and just an AM radio. He had to special order it
because there was not one truck in the area that bare. My point is, the
work truck has changed from your stripped bare truck to a truck with a
smooth ride, AC, CD Player, and all of the immenities. So when I say
work truck, I compare it to another work truck of the same year... the F150.

People want comfort when their working nowadays! ;)

Far as durability.... we all know that 90% of 4x4's never see dirt, so
when DC goes to cut costs there's the big red bullseye. I gotta admit,
I haven't seen that much of the underside of any 4x4 gen4's, but what I
have seen of mine is a lot of the chassis is similar to the gen3's
(except for the front suspension). So I gotta ask, WTF was Peterson doing???

Side note: Front brakes are easier to change though, don't need an
allen for the caliper... just a regular socket.

I know most hate the gen4, and I'm almost in that camp too. But what's
keeping me from jumping the SS Gen4 is it's been a damn good truck for
me. Good on gas, few problems, nice ride. I like being the only pimped
out gen4 in this area. But not many people are insane enough to buy a
20k truck and then spend more to make it decent. Thats why they cant
move any gen4's off the lots.

With that being said, I can only say that the more I drive my 05, the
more I love my 98! I tried to make the 05 into something halfway
respectable, nice looking, mid 14's, all that BS, but it was just an
exercise in futility with the main result is me feeling like a damn
moron. Theres not enough after market support, and not a lick of any
real performance options from even Mopar. So the "work truck" label is
well deserved IMHO.

I only have a one car garage..... the 05 is outside! :)

Gary Hedlin
98 Dakota RC Sport 3.9
05 Dakota CC SLT 4.7
www.garyhedlin.com

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Gary Hedlin wrote:
>

>> So in closing, let's not forget something.... The Gen4's were designed
>> more for a work truck. They did that job well.
>

> Sup Gary :) Sorry dude - I gotta do a 180 on this one. The Gen IV's
> in my opinion were not designed to be a "work truck" Yeah they have
> higher tow ratings and payload ratings - but thats about it. I took a
> 4.7L Club cab 4x4 auto out for a spin, in Mineral Grey ( *spits* -
> Graphite Metallic is a superior color) and I had very mixed feelings
> (see my original post below)
>
> http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0409/0789.html
>
> I crawled under the truck my local stealer had in the show room and
> scrutinized the front suspension. I was dissapointed. There are lots
> of low hanging dangley parts that would get eaten up easily with any
> mild trail riding. A small rock could hammer the crossmember to bits.
>
> Compared to a Gen III - the Gen IV may as well be a passenger car. I've
> rarely seen a 2wd and a 4wd truck have the same ride height as the
> Dakota does. The only others that I can think of that I've seen have
> 2wd/4wd ride heights the sam, are Ford Exploders... perhaps the
> Cherokees (both the grand and the classic). Even the Gen I Durangos had
> different suspension heights between 2wd and 4wd - naturally as they
> were based off the Gen III Daks which obviously had height differences.
>
> Petersens 4 Wheel blew up the front differential - litterally broke the
> case in two - during their 4wheeler of the year test, back when the
> truck first came out. Now for a stationary non-load bearing
> differential, (one that does not articulate with the axle and is
> subjected to no suspension weight issues - such as a live solid axle) -
> to physically break it in two would seem to indicate it does not have
> the durability and strength that a "work truck" would need.
>
> I've put Christine through stuff that would probably snap a Gen IV in
> half. She has been a snow plow truck virtually all of her life, I've
> hauled more than 3000lbs of concrete rubble in the bed, and wheeled her
> with vigor. I consider Christine a far superior work truck than any Gen
> IV. AND!! You can't even get an 8 foot bed in a Gen IV!
>
> The Gen IV has a cushy suspension, creature comforts, and a carlike
> ride... "so in closing" heh - in my opinion I consider the gen IV Dak to
> be targeted at the SUV soccer mom crowd who want a cushy truck to tow
> the boat/snow mobiles/ATVs/bicycles on a weekend get away with 5 people.
>
> I step down off my soap box...

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |