Re: How to bring a Jeep back from Colorado?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 11:48:38 EDT

On Wed, May 17, 2006 4:22 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> I don't know if this is even feasable or not, (not sure if you have
> to own the vehicle to get insurance on it) but if you want to cover
> the cost, what I could do is to put it on my policy

Thanks for the offer. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to have my dad add it
to his policy. He gets a pretty good government employee discount with Geico.
 (Today's fun fact: did you know Geico originally stood for "Government
employee insurance company"?)

> Hmmm, now that I think of it, I think some insurance
> policies have an option to cover not only your vehicle but whatever
> you happen to be towing (liability only), in which case you might
> not need to get any insurance on the Jeep itself, it would be covered
> by the liability insurance of the tow vehicle.

That would be a good thing to find out.

> If it were me, I wouldn't bother with anything like that at all. I
> mean, obviously it isn't required from a "laws of physics" standpoint,
> just the "laws of bureaucratic weenies". :-)

Exactly.

> So really the only
> danger would be getting stopped in a state where it is required,
> and it seems like the odds of that are fairly slim - you'd probably
> have to be pulled over for something else or just happen across a
> REALLY bored cop, since there's no way to tell externally wether
> a towed vehicle might have such a braking system or not.

Except the Jeep doesn't have doors, so anyone who drives by can see the
footwell and pedals. All it would take is a cop who's familiar with that law
to glance over at it.

I guess I could always get a broken one and hook it up to make it look like
it's in place, or dummy something up with some wires and a hydraulic hood
prop. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement officers, just not for
stupid bureaucratic laws enacted just as a cash grab by a state that decides
their requirements must be three times more stringent than everyone else.

> Speaking of flat towing though, since the Jeep has a tow bar
> on it, does it also have a connector to plug into the tow vehicle
> to cause its lights to act like trailer lights?

Nope, but my dad did get a ticket for that once upon a time. He had to
fabricate up a set of aux tail lights for towing that just clamp on the back
(he welded a set of trailer lights to a pair of C-clamps). I'm pretty sure
he'd still have them.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'