Re: How to bring a Jeep back from Colorado?

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 11:59:52 EDT

Hi,

I haven't really been following this thread, but I have skimmed a couple
of the messages. I get the idea that a trailer rental is out due to cost
and extra towing load on the tow vehicle. Seems like flat towing is the
current option of choice, but it comes with issues related to tags,
insurance, etc.

Have you considered a tow dolly? They can be rented for much less than a
trailer, and should eliminate the tag/insurance/lighting issues and at
least 1/2 of the mechanical concern since two wheels will be off of the
ground. The extra weight is minimal and since the CJ2A is so light anyway,
a v6 Dakota would have no trouble at all pulling that combo.

I've flat towed vehicles and pulled vehicles with a dolly, and the dolly
seems much more safe/secure.

I see them used in my area for $400ish from time to time - might be
cheaper to buy one and sell it when you're done with it than to rent one.

Just a thought...

Good luck,
Craig

.