Re: How to bring a Jeep back from Colorado?

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 11:48:36 EDT

   If the idea is to flat tow,

   Make sure you have pulled both driveshafts. Some transfer cases can be
damaged because they won't get lubricated if the vehicle is being pulled.
It will also lessen the rolling resistance and may help in MPG.

   unlock the hubs in front (if an aftermarket hub kit was installed, stock
there was no such thing on something this old.) If they can't be disabled,
why not see if you can pull the front axle shafts so they don't spin.
Again with the rolling resistance and turning. Every little bit helps.

   I'd also check fluids in diffs, repack wheel bearings, and grease any
front linkages you can to make sure that it will track properly.

  It may also be a good idea to put the best 2 tires you have on it in the
front so that they will help in tracking.

  The Magnetic mount trailer lights usually have very strong magnets and I
would not worry about 'bumping' them off during the trip.

  As far as aux brakes of the vehicle being towed. For this amount of
weight. I think that you are 'overthinking' this. At Around 2500 lbs you
shouldn't need it. My Suzuki weighs in at around 2700 now with all the
stuff I've done to it and it has run fine, tracked OK, even with 36"
tires behind my '02 QC without issue and It it even ran fine with my
old '98 CC with a V6.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'