Re: How to bring a Jeep back from Colorado?

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 13:02:44 EDT

A tow dolly is a good option, but it still doesn't resolve all the issues
brought up. From my personal experience, back when I still had the wrecker
business, if the vehicle being towed has at least 1 wheel touching the ground,
it had to have a valid plate on it. Every time I had a police tow for an
unregistered vehicle, I was required to bring a repair plate for the vehicle if
I was using a typical wheel lift wrecker. And when transporting a vehicle over
state lines, some states even required me to have tow lights on the vehicle,
even though I had lights and strobes on the wrecker that were still visible
from the rear.

Point is, for the distance being covered and the fact that whoever hauling the
Jeep would be towing it across several states, you're going to want to cover
all the bases. Every state has different requirements regarding this topic so
towing it on a trailer is less complicated because at that point the Jeep is
considered cargo, not a vehicle.

Walt

In article <e4i7uj$ct4$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Craig Faison <cfaison@magpage.com> wrote:
>
> : Hi,
>
> : I haven't really been following this thread, but I have skimmed a couple
> : of the messages. I get the idea that a trailer rental is out due to cost
> : and extra towing load on the tow vehicle. Seems like flat towing is the
> : current option of choice, but it comes with issues related to tags,
> : insurance, etc.
>
> : Have you considered a tow dolly? They can be rented for much less than a
> : trailer, and should eliminate the tag/insurance/lighting issues and at
> : least 1/2 of the mechanical concern since two wheels will be off of the
> : ground. The extra weight is minimal and since the CJ2A is so light anyway,
> : a v6 Dakota would have no trouble at all pulling that combo.
>
> : I've flat towed vehicles and pulled vehicles with a dolly, and the dolly
> : seems much more safe/secure.
>
> : I see them used in my area for $400ish from time to time - might be
> : cheaper to buy one and sell it when you're done with it than to rent one.
>

> That would certainly be an option to keep in mind. I never
> really thought about it myself since I figured if a trailer wasn't
> an option, then flat towing it for free would be better than whatever
> they want for a dolly, but its true that you'd only need to worry
> about the rear end in that case, and there wouldn't be any tracking
> or light issues... Just as a point of reference, U-haul wants $309
> for a one way rental. (As opposed to $620 for a trailer.) At that
> price, $400 to buy one doesn't sound all that bad. :-) Even if you
> were only able to sell it for half what you bought it for, you'd
> still be $100 ahead of a u-haul rental. :-) (Though purchasing
> would add the additional complications of licensing and registering
> it, I would assume.)
>

> --
> -Jon-
>
> .- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -.
> | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA |
> | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 |
> | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly |
> | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD |
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |