Re: Timing Question

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 19:11:56 EDT

I believe Jon is correct. IIRC, you'll have to pull the lead to the temp
sensor, start the engine and then wait for check engine light comes on. When
it does, I believe you'll be in limp mode which will allow you to set the
timing with a timing light. Once that's set, you then reset the computer,
reconnect the temp wire and drive it around for a while for the computer to
retrain.

Walt

In article <e4htik$nq8$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> ttroidl@bluefrog.com wrote:
>
> : I have a dumb question.
>
> : Exactly how much of the ignition timing is controlled by the PCM?
>
> : I mean, on my '97 2.5l would it help or make any dif to adjust the
> : Distributor OR more to the point COULD it be messed up IF it's set
> : wrong?
>
> : It's just running as if the timing is retarded too much...
>
> : Engine light has not come on, nor have I had it checked for this, it
> : just seems off.
>

> I'm not 100% sure if this applies to the 2.5L, but I know that
> on the V8 and V6, the PCM controls 100% of the ignition timing.
> Although you *can* rotate the distributor, it won't actually
> change your ignition timing, it will only change the timing
> of the fuel injectors.
>

> --
> -Jon-
>
> .- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -.
> | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA |
> | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 |
> | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly |
> | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD |
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |