Re: Challenger WILL be built

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 21:29:29 EDT

--- Josh Battles <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:

> I think options are grouped in a manner designed to
> be the least expensive in
> terms of additional wiring and plastic fasteners.

HAving worked in a vehicle manufacturing plant a while
back, I can tell you that most of the wiring harnesses
are standard. That way regardless of what options the
customer wants, it can be wired/installed at it
particular work station. There is also a cost savings
as the producer of the vehicle, be it GM, Ford, or DC
can order one individual harness for all vehicles in
that production run and get a lower cost per unit then
if they had to order several harnesses for specific
option applications. To put it simply while we, the
motoring public, worry about saving $10-$20 on
something for our vehicle, the manufacturer is worried
about saving a nickle here, a dime there on each
vehicle. A $2 increase in the cost of a individual
part is enough to get a supplier contract terminated
because if the impact to the cost on the entire
production run. When I worked at the GM plant, we
pumped out cars at the REDUCED rate of 460 per 8 hour
shift. Thats nearly a thousand vehicles per week. So,
a $1 saving on a critical bolt lets say, results in
nearly $50,000 per year and if the vehicle is produced
over a 10 year time span and they can use the same
part at the same cost for the entire production run,
that saves the company half a million dollars on that
one model vehicle.

Just MHO,

Ray Irons
Quincy, CA