trailer wiring/reverse lights

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 11:55:10 EDT

Hi all,

Recently (like within 6 months), I installed a wiring kit for trailer
lights on my '01 QC Dakota. Sometime after that, I noticed that I didn't
have any reverse lights. Didn't think much of it, and figured I'd look
into it when I had some spare time. I didn't make any connection to the
wiring kit and the light failure at all (didn't notice the lack of reverse
lights for a while, I guess).

Anyway, more recently my brother bought a '98 Dakota and installed a
similar wiring kit (the standard kit available at Pep Boys, Autozone,
etc.). He noticed that his reverse lights quit working immediately after
installing the kit.

Called a buddy with an '00 Dakota and asked him if he had it wired for a
trailer - he did. Asked if he had reverse lights - nope.

So, it seems like there's a pattern here. Hoping this is something common
that someone else has already solved. ;-)

Any thoughts? I haven't had a chance to look into it myself yet.

Thanks,
Craig

.
.