RE: trailer wiring/reverse lights

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 14:23:53 EDT

Is this a 4-pin (3 plus ground) flat trailer connector or 7 pin round??

Another post indicates it's a "plug-in" kit. Plugs in to what??

Does the kit require unplugging an existing truck harness connector at
or near the rear of the truck and then inserting the new connector as a
"tee" in the harness? I.e., half of original harness into kit connector,
then other side of kit connector into other half of original harness?

If this is the case, the kit isn't wired correctly for your truck and
the back-up light voltage is not being passed through the kit connector
to the back-up lights.

If the back-up light fuse is blown and continues to blow when replaced
and the new trailer receptacle has no back-up light function, then the
kit harness is wired incorrectly and shorting your back-up light
circuit.

The pinout on the kit may OK for everything but Dakotas. An electrical
system that doesn't match any other vehicle?? That would be the very
first time this has happened since Chrysler designed the truck. OOPS
SORRY, that slipped out. Mustn't rant.

Get a voltmeter or multimeter at Radio Shack of somewhere similar. Start
checking voltage at the various points along the existing harness and
the kit.

The kit maybe designed correctly but assembled wrong or poorly since the
likelihood of it being a low bid, pacific rim piece of "equipment" is,
to say the least, very HIGH.

truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of Craig Faison
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 11:55 AM
 Subject: DML: trailer wiring/reverse lights

Hi all,
Recently (like within 6 months), I installed a wiring kit for trailer
lights on my '01 QC Dakota. Sometime after that, I noticed that I didn't
have any reverse lights. Didn't think much of it, and figured I'd look
into it when I had some spare time. I didn't make any connection to the
wiring kit and the light failure at all (didn't notice the lack of
reverse
lights for a while, I guess).

Anyway, more recently my brother bought a '98 Dakota and installed a
similar wiring kit (the standard kit available at Pep Boys, Autozone,
etc.). He noticed that his reverse lights quit working immediately after
installing the kit.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |