Re: towing a dakota--need help ASAP

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 12:10:19 EDT

DON'T put the transfer case in Neutral when dolling a 4x4 Dakota. Neutral on
the NP231 is between 4Hi and 4Lo and only disengages the TC input shaft from
the 2 output shafts. The front and rear output shafts will still be geared to
each other and if you have on end on a dolly and the other on the ground, it'll
bind. Only dolly it with the TC in 2Hi. You can safely put the front wheels on
the dolly and leave the trans in Neutral. If your uncomfortable with towing a
long distance, that way, you can always drop the rear drive shaft. But it's not
necessary, I've towed them that way several hundred miles with no problems.
Just be sure to cap off the rear output on the trans or TC so the lube doesn't
all leak out.

You can also tow it backwards with the rear wheels up on the dolly, though the
weight distribution may be a bit off and make the dolly a bit squirrely. Those
dollys are really designed to have the bulk of the weight above them.

Walt

In article <e6nb7h$b14$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Brian Fitchett <bfitchett@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> As far as the dolly goes, hopefully someone more knowledgeable
> than I can chime in on those, but I think if you do use them
> you will want to disconnect your rear driveshaft so that your
> trans/engine aren't spinning without proper lubrication. If
> you have a 4x4, maybe you can just pop the transfer case into
> neutral? I'm not 100% sure on that, maybe someone else can
> verify that.
>
> Another option, depending on how much stuff you have to move...
> Rent a trailer instead of a truck, use your Dak to tow the trailer
> and put all your household stuff in there. That would likely
> be a cheaper option, but if you have a lot of stuff or can't
> find a trailer to rent, then that probably doesn't help you out
> much.
>
> Good luck with it!
>

> --
> -Jon-
>
> .- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -.
> | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA |
> | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 |
> | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly |
> | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD |
> .
> .
> | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! |
> | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |