Re: towing a dakota--need help ASAP

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 16:06:22 EDT

You can tow the Dakota with the trans in neutral. I've done it many times. The
Stratus on the other hand, would require you to lift the drive wheels off the
ground unless the engine was running. The fluid pump in many front wheel drive
automatic transaxles is usually powered off the input shaft. When the engine
isn't running, there isn't enough lubrication to keep the tranny from burning
up. If the engine is running, however, that's a different story. I've towed
front wheel drive cars from upstate VT back to CT with the drive wheels on the
ground. Just started the engine, shifted into neutral, strapped the steering
wheel and I just wheel lifted them from the rear with the engines running.
Both times they were cars that had heavy damage to the rear and the rear wheels
wouldn't turn. Neither had problems with the transmission afterwards related
to the tow back. Even did that a few time with short across town tows.

Anyhow, it sounds like you'll be better off towing the Stratus and driving the
Dakota. I wouldn't want that big boy in the back seat on a long trip. ;)

Walt

In article <e6pdcs$pam$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, bfitchett@comcast.net (Brian
Fitchett) writes:

> My truck is a 2WD, does anyone know if its safe to dolly with the trans
> in neutral and not unhooking the drive shaft? How would you unhook the
> drive shaft anyhow? As it stands we will probably tow the stratus and
> drive the dakota with the dog in the bed (crated of course, 150 lb
> Rottweiler!). Thanks for all of the info. We are renting the truck
> from penske so i dont know if a uhaul trailer would hook up the same
> electrically.
>
> Brian
.
.