Re: towing a dakota--need help ASAP

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 23:44:18 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> "Andy Levy" <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> : On 6/13/06, Brian Fitchett <bfitchett@comcast.net> wrote:
> :>
> :> I am moving to chicago here in the next couple of weeks. How can I tow
> :> my truck using a rental truck? Use the car carriers or tow dollies?
> :> Which is best. The dolly is cheaper but i dont think the carriers are
> :> big enough for the dak
>
> : If it'll fit, the full trailer is the better way to go. IIRC,
> : Christine barely fit on the standard UHaul car trailer when Mike towed
> : her home to Tom a few years ago, and they had to put the street tires
> : on as the offroad tires were too big.
>

> I remember that also. I seem to recall an old style, orange
> u-haul trailer, the wheels had to be taken off in order to make
> it fit. However, the pics of Mike towing Christine home show a
> newer, larger, silver trailer, and there appears to be tons of
> room to spare (http://home.tepidcola.com/gallery/dmlbbq5?page=15)
>
> Mike towing Christine back to WI is the only time I remember
> Christine on a U-haul trailer, so I have no idea when I would
> have recalled Christine on the smaller trailer with the wheels
> needing to be swapped out, but I'm sure it happened... ? Maybe
> it was from 2004 or 2005 when Tom towed it out behind his Ram?

Christine has been on a uhaul twin axle "car hauler" three times. The
first was when I moved up to Wisc from Chicago. I also towed the 2wd 89
Dakota on a car hauler when moving up. One Uhaul truck was a 24 foot
uhaul GMC Topkick powered box truck...loaded to the gills. That with the
20some foot long trailer-and-Dak, made for driving a rig about as long
as a full Semi heh. That was Fun Stuff... the other was an F350
Superduty, also loaded full.

The 2nd time was when Mike towed her home in 2003 from the BBQ when she
was drowned. If I remember - you guys (Jon and Mike) did swap the
mudders for the street tires because they fit better.

The third time was DML BBQ of 2005, last year, when I towed her out
behind the Ram... (nightmare)...

Uhauls twin axle car haulers suck ass big time. They were ok behind the
big, heavy, fully loaded moving trucks... I didn't have any trouble
driving then. But behind my Ram that was another story.

Good idea to move with the Dak towing the car. Much safer way to go...
but be warned - front wheel tow dollies have no brakes. You must use
more caution when towing with them. I used one to tow the Neon back
home with the 02 Exploder, when the head blew. I only had to go 35-40
miles... but it made me nervous knowing I had no brakes. And a 6 cyl,
be it a Ford 4.0 or the Dodge 3.9 - isn't wonderful for hauling cars
around - especially if you are going to be loaded with stuff you're
moving. Try not to exceede your GVWR... or if you do - by as little as
possible.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'