Re: towing a dakota--need help ASAP

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 10:00:56 EDT

I disagree Tom, while the fluid pump in a loadflite is powered off the input
shaft, there is still over 8 quarts of trans fluid in there and more than
sufficient splash to keep the bearings lubricated. That's where there is
typically a problem in failures related to towing. Those trannys are based on
the earlier 904 & 727 and were towed frequently on standard wreckers with the
drive wheels on the ground. While it's always preferable to lift the drive
wheels off the ground when towing, it's not a necessity, as many people think.
I actually preferred towing with a standard wheel-lift wrecker and frequently
towed my 88 Dakota to and from the shop the nights I was on call (at least 3 or
4 times a week). I never did anything to that tranny other than a filter
service. The transfer case was rebuilt once but that was only to upgrade the
gear-set. In the 13 years I drove a wrecker, I never ate a tranny, though I do
admit I fucked up a lot of other shit. ;)

Anyhow in Brian's scenario, I think he would be better off towing the Stratus
with the Dakota rather than the other way around. I don't know if you've ever
towed another vehicle with a front wheel drive but the weight distribution is
way off and it handles like shit.

Walt

In article <4490D92A.3050905@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com (Terrible Tom)
writes:

> Brian Fitchett wrote:
> >
> > My truck is a 2WD, does anyone know if its safe to dolly with the trans
> > in neutral and not unhooking the drive shaft?
>
> This would be a Very Bad Thing.
>
> The transmission would have no lubrication, because the pump would not
> be turning with the engine off. Even in neutral. There would still be
> internal parts moving.

.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |