Replacement pads / rotors / calipers

From: Robert Schultz (not_robert_schultz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 15:53:27 EDT

Hi all:

Dealer tells me that the front brakes on my 2000 QC need work; the pads
are separating from the backing plates and the rotors were fairly worn.
Add that to the fact that I know there's a chunk missing from the
passenger caliper due to overheating and I'm looking for a front brake
system replacement.

The dealer quoted almost $450 on just the pads and rotors. They're easy
enough to do myself and this looks like a fairly priced kit from
Stainless Steel Brake:

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/715/?make=Dodge&model=Dakota+2WD&year=2000

Any opinions on these? The archives have (poor) opinions on their rear
conversions but I couldn't find anything on the front kits. Sam at
SoCalDakota sells them so they can't be all bad right ?

And finally, I can't find any reasonable upgrade after market calipers.
Anything worth looking at or should I stick with rebuilt units? Never
had a real complaint with the stock units, but if I'm spending
money..... The only restriction is I'm running 15" rims in the winter so
going with larger brakes isn't the best option.

Thanks,
Rob S.
.
.