Re: Replacement pads / rotors / calipers

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 18:16:47 EDT

On Thu, June 15, 2006 2:53 pm, Robert Schultz wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Dealer tells me that the front brakes on my 2000 QC need work; the pads
> are separating from the backing plates and the rotors were fairly worn.
> Add that to the fact that I know there's a chunk missing from the
> passenger caliper due to overheating and I'm looking for a front brake
> system replacement.
>
> The dealer quoted almost $450 on just the pads and rotors. They're easy
> enough to do myself and this looks like a fairly priced kit from
> Stainless Steel Brake:
>
> http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/715/?make=Dodge&model=Dakota+2WD&year=2000
>
> Any opinions on these? The archives have (poor) opinions on their rear
> conversions but I couldn't find anything on the front kits. Sam at
> SoCalDakota sells them so they can't be all bad right ?

STAY AWAY FROM SSBC. I've heard so many bad things about them over the years
it's not even funny. You couldn't pay me to put anything they make on my
vehicle.

For about the same dollars you could get a set of Brembo rotors and Hawk pads
that'll perform better and last longer. I noticed a difference when I went
from Powerslots to the Brembos, and since I used the same brand/model of pad
it probably wasn't the pad making the difference.

> And finally, I can't find any reasonable upgrade after market calipers.
> Anything worth looking at or should I stick with rebuilt units? Never
> had a real complaint with the stock units, but if I'm spending
> money..... The only restriction is I'm running 15" rims in the winter so
> going with larger brakes isn't the best option.

Unless you're getting really serious you'll be fine with the stock brakes. I
autocross my truck regularly and haven't really had any occasion to wish my
brakes were better.

Napa makes some brass impregnated shoes, I'd upgrade to those they grab much
better.

Also, if you've never done it you should probably change the brake fluid
while you're in there. Over time the heat degrades the fluid and reduces the
boiling point. Not to mention that brake fluid is hydroscopic....

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'