Re: GPS Unit Recommendations?

From: David Henry (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 17:04:13 EDT

To help make sure we do end up in Colorado I just picked up a Magellan
Explorist XL, MapSend Direct Route software, and a 2GB SD card so I don't
really need to hook it up to the laptop to get more maps as we move across
the country.

About the biggest downside I've found so far in testing is that the
basemapes are nearly useless (unless your lost on the freeway and want to
see were you are on the freeway, and that's only going to be in relation to
any other major freeway). I knew this before I got it, hence the purchase
of the additional map software which is quite detailed.
The other thing I dislike is that the larges map chunk you can select and
send to the unit is 64 MB. I got the 2GB card so that I could just export
the entire country and be done with it.
I can still load them all up, but I just need to switch which detail map I'm
using at any one time. Most states seem to fit inside of the 64MB limit,
but I'll end up wasting a lot of space with overlap, as not all states are
nice neat little boxes.

If you're interesed in cheap, I've got an older Delome unit (and Street
Atlas software, I think I have both 5 and 6). GPS unit works fine if you've
got a laptop with a serial port. Standard DB9 connector. If you're
interested, it's free if you want me to bring it to the meet. If you want
it sooner, you can pay me for shipping costs when we get to Colorado. I'll
probably blow the whole ammount on a quart of gas...

Above offer only valid if I can actually find the unit. :)

-- David 94 CC Sport 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted with 33" BFG MT's