Re: Gettin close to Road Trip Time!

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 12:32:31 EDT

On Fri, June 23, 2006 10:41 am, Mr. Plow said:

> Thinking about it, i should actually check what a flight from Edmonton down
> to Denver would be...

Not a bad idea. Might be cheaper by the time you add up gas, meals and any
motels on the way down and back. Also keep an eye out for any last minute
deals, there are entire web sites set up just for last minute travel bargains
(I don't have any particular suggestions, other than Google is your friend).
A lot of times you can fly for next to nothing if you grab empty seats a
couple of days beforehand. It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep your options
open.

Keep in mind you won't be able to bring as much camping gear (although you
probably won't be able to fit very much in a Sunfire anyway). Also, some
things used for camping are considered hazardous materials on airplanes.

Norah and I flew out to Vancouver, rented a Durango and did some camping out
there back in 2000. Obviously we had to buy all of our fire making and
cooking supplies once we were there, in quantities small enough that they
would be used up at the end of the week. The thing that surprised us was that
they wouldn't allow our backpacking camp stove on the plane on the way home.
It was brand new on the trip out, but once it came in contact with propane it
became hazardous. So we had to mail our stove back to ourselves. (It went
air mail -- go figure.)

Granted, this was Canada 3000. Even they admitted that it wouldn't have been
a problem on a real airline like Air Canada, but they didn't have the proper
paperwork from the government to transport things like used camp stoves. So
if you do want to fly, check with your airline first to see if they have any
restrictions. Our trip was before 9/11, I can only imagine what new and
exciting restrictions they've come up with in the time since then.

Oh, and one other thing. The tolls on the I-470 highway are insanely
expensive. That's something to avoid in any case, since you're picking your
Jeep up at the airport. If you can figure out a reasonably painless way to
avoid that highway, take it.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'