National Meet travel bug race - 50/50?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 12:44:35 EDT

  Hi Folks!

   For those of you who aren't aware of it, I'm currently in
the process of creating 4 travel bugs. Some explanation may be
required here... :-) A travel bug is an item with a unique,
trackable code which is placed in a Geocache. (There are
thousands of Geocaches spread across the world, which people
try to find using a GPS, sort've like hidden treasure...) Anyway,
if somebody finds a travel bug in a geocache, generally they
will grab it, and put it in a different cache. They log when
they take it and when they put it in a different cache on
geocaching.com. Some travel bugs just sort've wander around
with no stated goal, while others have a "mission" they are
trying to accomplish. The 4 DML travel bugs will be placed
in 4 different caches during the National Meet out in Colorado,
and will race back to a geocache I have established near me.
Essentially, the first travel bug to make it to the finish cache
is the winner. Usually a travel bug will move only a few miles
at a time; sometimes they will sit in a cache for days or weeks,
or during the winter, sometimes months. However, it is not
uncommon for someone taking a trip to pick up a travel bug and
drop it off at their destination, so its possible for a travel
bug to move a couple of thousand miles in one shot. :-)

   So, that's something I've been working on - I'm creating
4 travel bugs, one to represent each generation of Dakota.
This is something that we're planning to do just for the
entertainment value, but the question has come up as to wether
we want to use it to try to offset some of the costs of the
National Meet? Basically the idea would be a 50/50 deal where
anyone who wanted to participate would contribute a certain
amount of money and choose which travel bug they think will
win. 50% of the money would go towards offsetting the meet
costs, and the other 50% would be split between the people who
picked the winning travel bug. There is always a chance that
somebody could steal one of the travel bugs or it could get
lost in a tornado or something, so we'll have some sort of
backup plan like if no travel bug makes it to the finish line
within 1 year or 2 years, whichever we decide, then we can
either declare the winner to be the travel bug which is currently
the closest to the finish cache, or we could also do a random
drawing at a DML BBQ or something to pick the winner. That is
one catch to this race - it could very well take a year or two
in order to determine a winner.

   Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Is that something
you might be interested in participating in? If so, what sort
of "buy-in" amount would interest you? $5? $10? $20? other?
I suppose for those folks who are interested in contributing
more money, instead of restricting it to say $10 to pick a travel
bug, $10 would get you one "share" of a travel bug such that
you could contribute $40 to the GenI travel bug, and if it wins,
when splitting the pot, you'd basically count as 4 people...

   Anyway, this 50/50 idea just recently came up on the meet blog,
so I thought I would throw that out there to see if there is any
interest in something like that?

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --' . . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'