[National DML Meet] David and Jan's version of Thursday

From: Jan (janmhenry@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 22:40:42 EDT

   =20 We returned to the zoo to visit the Shrine of the Sun, which is
   accessible = by a road only available through the zoo. By DML
   standards the paved road i= s extremely mild, although the switchbacks
   might freak some uninitiated fol= ks in cars. At the top, you visit a
   stone tower -- pretty cool -- that has = rooms in it memorializing the
   actor Will Rogers. The point of the shrine is= to have a place for the
   ashes of a couple by the last name of Penrose. The= y're responsible
   for a number of places around here, and lived quite a nice= life and
   they spend eternity there in a beautiful chapel high from the cit= y
   in peace and quiet. I'm envious! At any rate, the elevation is about
   9,00= 0 and the views of the city are just amazing. (David took
   photos) Unfortuna= tely "they", whoever they are, closed off the
   observation deck atop the tow= er which deprived us of the full height
   but we managed to make our way thro= ugh a door on the second or third
   floor, which went out onto a tiny deck an= d displayed spectacular
   sights. I'm not sure if we're supposed to be able t= o exit there or
   not, but after a bit of toying with the deadbolt, we got th= e door
   open and went out onto the little ledge. Sure glad that door wasn't =
   secured with one of those darn Master locks that were everywhere else.
   But = the trip up there was well worth it, I think.
   David wanted to go= higher up Cheyenne mountain via a road that took
   off from the paved road, = but I pointed out the sign said "no
   vehicles beyond this point". Shoot. Ano= ther road we passed on the
   way down didn't have a sign saying to get away, = but I pointed out
   that we were solo and the road looked a little iffy. Yes = I'm part
   chicken sometimes... but oh well.
   After that we headed = down to the nearby World Figure Skating museum,
   which I know isn't on the h= ot list of most DMLers, but personally it
   was like a mecca to me, to actual= ly be near memorabilia from my very
   elite peers, whom I could never emulate= but always admire. I skate
   for the enjoyment of flying across ice, they sk= ate and earn
   millions. But whatever.
   We had planned to visit the= Cave of the Winds afterward, but the last
   lantern tour was at 5, and we go= t stuck in traffic. :-( It's on our
   list for Friday, after we go with the = group to Pikes Peak. It's then
   or never, so I hope we do make it.
   The group kinda split up a bit today, and I hope everyone found what
   they= wanted out of the day. At least the lightning around Colorado
   Springs was = the wickedest I've ever seen... lots and lots of cloud
   to ground spikes, in= vivid purple. I can believe now why they warn
   against being high up when i= t strikes!!!
   --
   Posted by Ja= n to National DML Meet at 7/20/2006 08:14:00 PM

.
.
| The National DML Meet is in progress! http://meet.dakota-truck.net |