[National DML Meet] Thursday, July 20 (by Jon)

From: Jon Steiger (blogger@jonsteiger.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 04:07:05 EDT

   =20 Today, we explored a very small portion of some of the off road
   trails in t= he general vicinity of the campground, had some lunch on
   the trail, and com= bined the offroading with geocaching. We found
   three caches today, two of = which were at the top of rather steep
   hills, so those of us who went up to = the top got a fairly good
   workout. The last two travel bugs were dropped o= ff today (Gen III
   and Gen IV), so all of the travel bugs are in the wild no= w! It was
   rather fitting that Don was the one to drop the Gen III travel b= ug
   into its starting cache; that travel bug is based on his truck.
   We explored Forest Service road 318 which comes off of Mt. Hermon
   road. = It had been listed as a difficult trail in a guide book that
   Jason has. I= t started off rather mild, but did get more interesting
   towards the end. T= he trail got a bit too narrow for Walt's full size
   Ram, so he held back, an= d Jason & Norah also turned around once they
   got to some of the more techni= cal stuff, and once the storm clouds
   started moving in. The two Jeeps (Ada= m driving one with Jackie, Jay
   and Korey as passengers, me driving the othe= r with Ed and Tom as
   passengers) and Mike in his Dak with Don as a passenge= r continued
   on. The road kept going and going well beyond our maps, so we =
   figured we'd better turn around and head back to Walt, Ingrid, Jason
   and No= rah. Ed and I walked down the trail just a bit further, past a
   narrow sect= ion that would have been very challenging, even for a
   Jeep, and were reward= ed with a fabulous view of the valley below. We
   ate some lunch and then he= aded back out; Jason & Norah went back to
   town to meet Jason's parents who = were driving in and the rest of us
   followed Walt to find some geocaches. <= br />
   I must say that I am impressed with this little Jeep. Granted, = we
   haven't gotten into any real hardcore stuff but there were a few
   technic= al places, and it has done great, despite being bone stock,
   on fully inflat= ed street tires. Being used to wheeling a full size,
   extended bed Ram, thi= s little Jeep is spoiling me a bit with its
   maneuverability. You have a lo= t more options for choosing a line,
   rather than just having to stay between= the trees and power through
   whatever the road might happen to throw at you= . Its also easier to
   fit through the narrow sections. I might have to put= one of these on
   the ol' wish list. ;-)
   During the trip, a stor= m rolled through and the skies opened up on
   us. Ed and I had to hop out of= the Jeep and put the sides back on to
   prevent the inside from getting soak= ed. We got soaked in the
   process. :-) There was thunder and lightning al= l around (we
   calculated the nearest strike at 1/2 mile; we were at around 9= ,000
   feet at the time). As seems to be the pattern though, the storm quick=
   ly passed. We had some on and off rain for the remainder of the day,
   but n= othing that was a big deal. It stopped drizzling in time for
   the nightly D= ML bonfire. We're going to have to ramp up the bonfire
   a bit though if we = want to burn through all of the wood we
   purchased. :-)
   He= re are a few pics from the day:
   3D""=-[Copy%20of%20IMG_27=]
   The view from near the end of the fire ser= vice road number 318, off
   of Mt. Hermon road.
   3D""-[2=]
   Some bolders tha= t were steaming after a rain/hail storm.
   3D""-[=]
   Some of the hai= l that was left all over the ground from the
   aforementioned storm.
   3D""-[photos1=]
   Mike, flexing his suspension in a kind've off-road play area we =
   stumbled upon.
   3D"=-[Copy%20of%20IMG_2=]
   Adam, climbing a rock in the above area.<= br />
   3D""-[=]
   Searching for a geocache, we drove through a large secti= on of burned
   forest.
   [Copy%20of%2=]-[Copy%20of%2=]
   To get to the geocache we also had = to drive through a flash flood
   area. It was raining, but nowhere near enoug= h for there to be any
   danger.
   3D""-[Co=]
   A bunch of folks heading u= p to find the aforementioned geocache; the
   third and final find of the day.=
   3D""-[3D"http:=]
   A view of a cloud shrouded Pike's Peak from the geocach= e area. We're
   planning to drive to the top of Pike's Peak tomorrow, so hop= efully I
   will be able to share a photo of the view from the top in a bit. =
   Speaking of which, I am going to end this message now as its 2am and I
   need= to be up in time for the 7:30 trip to the peak!
   --
   Posted by Jon Steiger to National DML Meet at= 7/21/2006 01:25:00 AM

.
.
| The National DML Meet is in progress! http://meet.dakota-truck.net |