Re: OBD II code readers

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 17:52:28 EDT

On Fri, August 4, 2006 5:11 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> I have this one, from Harbor Freight:
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46030

Weird... I can't seem to get in to their web site right now. Keeps going to
one of those annoying domain squatters. Maybe it's just the corporate
firewall.

> I notice it is currently available to ITC members for $35.

What's ITC? I guess if I don't know, I must not be a member.

> You just
> plug it in and it will spit out the PXXXX style codes, one at a time.
> After the codes are finished displaying, you can unplug the reader,
> or if you leave it plugged in, it will automatically clear the codes.

Lemme guess, does it look kind of like this (eBay): http://tinyurl.com/ms236 ?

I thought I'd kind of prefer to have one with separate read and erase buttons
so we don't have to worry about it erasing the codes before we get a chance to
write them down. How long does it pause on each code?

> I have a software based OBD-II code reader and scanner that runs
> on my laptop, which obviously gives a heck of a lot more information,
> but it only works on Chrysler vehicles.

I had looked at those briefly, but I couldn't find the adapter hardware for
less than $85. Did you come up with something cheaper than that? That would
be nice to have, even better if I could also make it talk OBD I to the '95.
It wouldn't replace the emergency reader in the glove box, though (the laptop
is usually at home). I know Walt has something like that as well (Walt, are
you listening?)

> I can show it to you next time you come down,

Speaking of which, we still need to return all your camping supplies. What
are your upcoming Saturday schedules like?

> For what its worth, I think just about any parts store will pull
> your codes nowadays, and they will almost certainly be able to tell you
> what they mean also. (Otherwise they can't sell you the parts to fix
> the problem.) :-)

True enough. I've never asked the stores around here, but it seems like
something they'd want to do. I'm kind of hoping for something that would let
her decide whether to have the truck towed, drive it straight to a shop, or
take it home and let me look at it later. Without any external pressure from
someone who's just trying to sell her something.