Re: OBD II code readers

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 21:11:16 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Fri, August 4, 2006 5:11 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net said:
>
>> I have this one, from Harbor Freight:
>>
>>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46030
>

> Weird... I can't seem to get in to their web site right now. Keeps going to
> one of those annoying domain squatters. Maybe it's just the corporate
> firewall.
>

>>I notice it is currently available to ITC members for $35.
>

> What's ITC? I guess if I don't know, I must not be a member.
>

>> You just
>>plug it in and it will spit out the PXXXX style codes, one at a time.
>>After the codes are finished displaying, you can unplug the reader,
>>or if you leave it plugged in, it will automatically clear the codes.
>

> Lemme guess, does it look kind of like this (eBay): http://tinyurl.com/ms236 ?
>
> I thought I'd kind of prefer to have one with separate read and erase buttons
> so we don't have to worry about it erasing the codes before we get a chance to
> write them down. How long does it pause on each code?
>

>> I have a software based OBD-II code reader and scanner that runs
>>on my laptop, which obviously gives a heck of a lot more information,
>>but it only works on Chrysler vehicles.
>

> I had looked at those briefly, but I couldn't find the adapter hardware for
> less than $85. Did you come up with something cheaper than that? That would
> be nice to have, even better if I could also make it talk OBD I to the '95.
> It wouldn't replace the emergency reader in the glove box, though (the laptop
> is usually at home). I know Walt has something like that as well (Walt, are
> you listening?)
>

>>I can show it to you next time you come down,
>

> Speaking of which, we still need to return all your camping supplies. What
> are your upcoming Saturday schedules like?
>

>> For what its worth, I think just about any parts store will pull
>>your codes nowadays, and they will almost certainly be able to tell you
>>what they mean also. (Otherwise they can't sell you the parts to fix
>>the problem.) :-)
>

> True enough. I've never asked the stores around here, but it seems like
> something they'd want to do. I'm kind of hoping for something that would let
> her decide whether to have the truck towed, drive it straight to a shop, or
> take it home and let me look at it later. Without any external pressure from
> someone who's just trying to sell her something.

$50 says the codes are along the lines of EVAP system leak detected
(small/large/etc). Your quad is of the same vintage as my Ram (2001)
and I had to replace ALL of my EVAP system rubber lines over a year ago.
  I had the leak trip the check engine light over and over and over for
weeks. I replaced a couple hoses, the gas cap.. until I crawled all
over the truck and discovered that all of the hoses were cracked and
rotted. Must have had a bad batch of rubber that day or something. So
I just bit the bullet and changed them all. No light since.

NAPA's do not do check engine light code pulls. Perhaps some
independants will.. and it may vary from store to store... but there is
no blanket policy like AutoZone or Advance. I would go to AZ or ADvance
and have them pull the codes and write them down for you so you can
figure out just what they are. If they are EVAP lines, you can easily
replace them yourself at a minimal cost. The other possibility is that
EVAP systems can have internal leaks, within the system (purge solenoid
valve manfunctions) which can only be reliabily detected with EVAP
"smoke/dye" tests. But I would serously doubt that is the case.

As for OBDII scanners - the only experiance I have with them are the
more simplified ACTRON scanners that I used during my sentance time with
AutoZone. They run about $120-140... are not bad.. but not real sophisted.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine