Re: Re: Fan clutch

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 15:28:16 EDT

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Josh Battles wrote:

> On Sat, August 5, 2006 5:13 am, Biff Byrum wrote:
> >
> > Three years?? I wish. Elimination of the thermal clutch is illegal, under
> > EPA rules. I doubt the heavy duty lasts much better. just buy the 60 dollar
> > ones whenever yoiu have to. Biff
>
> Mine still worked fine at 6 years and 90k miles when I removed it. I
> replaced the water pump and went all e-fan at the time. Is it uncommon for
> it to last that long?

Mine died sometime recently, it's fine without the clutch locking up when
I'm at freeway speeds or it's not 95+ degrees, but I was overheating a bit
in Colorado and never heard the familiar power-stealing whoosh that I
should have. So mine lasted about 8 years and 140,000 miles....

> Why is it illegal to remove it?

I'd also like to hear this, that doesn't seem likely at all to me.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |