Re: RE: Miles 1... Deer 0.. Time for a new project.

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 19:45:11 EDT

"Miles D. Oliver" <moliver@mmoliver.org> wrote:

: I guess personal satisfaction doesn't seem to weigh much anymore.

: I've got several drops of 11ga, 3/16 , and 1/4 plate, once I get it all
: mapped out with foamcore I can tell how much I will need.

: Oh well, I'll probably post pictures when I get it done.

   Sorry, I wasn't trying to snap your suspenders, :-) I was just
posting my opinion. I didn't realize that you already had most of
the steel sitting around, in which case you can probably come out
well ahead of that $400, assuming of course that you have no other
pressing need for it. I had mistakenly figured that you were planning
to purchase the steel to build the bumper, in which case the price
difference between building and buying is mighty narrow. (Last year
I built a project which was supposed to take about $400 worth of
steel. Only problem was the plans were created in the late 90s,
and at todays prices it ended up being closer to $1500 worth of
steel!) People are selling used car trailers for more than they
paid for 'em 5 and 10 years ago because of the price increases
required on new trailers due to the cost of steel. If this keeps
up, they'll have to make room in Fort Knox - shovel that worthless
gold outside and make way for I-beams and coil! :-P

   There's still the issue of time of course; back when I was an .edu
breath collij student I had more free time than I knew what to do with.
(Heck, that's the reason this list exists in the first place!) :-)
Lately though, time seems to be in mighty short supply, and I guess I
just figured it was the same with everybody. If you've got the time
and the tools, then by all means have at it! I'll be interested to see
the pics when you're done.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'